Guardian of societal continual improvement through the provision of equitable access to information and knowledge.
To be a globally renowned library focused on empowering its customers with information and knowledge mastery skills needed in Education, Science, Research, Technology, Innovation and Extension.
To support quality learning, teaching, research, extension and innovation service objects and functions of Pwani University by providing access to documented information through deliberate activities of collection development, information organization, preservation, interpretation and dissemination to current and anticipated faculty, students, staff of Pwani University and the public.
- Acquire, organize, maintain and disseminate relevant information material containers and channels for the Pwani University.
- Promote and market library services to the Pwani University.
- Provide favorable study and learning environment to customers.
- Support and facilitate the teaching, learning, research, innovation and extension.
- Train customers on information literacy and competencies.
- Specificity : Each customer his book
- Measurability : Each books its customer
- Attainability : Information is for use
- Reliability : Save the time of the customer
- Timeliness : Save the time of the librarian
- Modernism : Library is a growing organism
- Collaboration : In unity is strength
Cradle of novel knowledge
The Library is committed to providing high quality information services and resources to support students and staff in all academic and research programs. Its 40,000 volumes collection of most recent literatures on a wide range of subject areas as well as its e-collection makes it the ideal knowledge resource.
|Days of the Week||Library Opening Hours|
|Monday to Friday||8:00 am – 9:45 pm|
|Saturdays||9:00 am – 2:00 pm|
The library offers the following services:
- Borrowing and lending services
- Reading spaces for individual silent study
- Assistance in locating information resources
- User education programmes
- Email alerts and current awareness services
- Access to past examination papers
- E-Library services
- Special collection
Borrowing quotas and loan periods(as content for link lending services)
|No of Items||Days|
|Non Academic staff||5||21|
|Part Time lecturers||5||21|
|Diploma /short course students||3||14|
Short loan / reserved collection This include materials in heavy demand, which are kept behind the Issue desk. Lecturers who want groups of students to have access to specific material can put books and photocopied journal articles on short loan for specified periods of time.
- Academic staff wishing to have an item put on short loan should contact the Librarian.
- Students may only borrow one item at a time from the short loan collection.
- Academic staff may borrow two items.
- Items on short loan will be used within the library for a maximum period of two hours, renewable for the same period if the item is not reserved.
- Items on short loan can be borrowed for one day .
- Weekend borrowing is also provided from Saturday to be returned on Monday at 9.00a.m.
- Items borrowed may be renewed once
- Items reserved (placed on hold) by another user may not be renewed
- You can renew items either personally at the Issue Desk, or electronically via the online catalogue. To re-new items online, you need to log-in into your account, click on My Summary and then select the option to renew items.
- There are no renewals for videos, CDs, DVDs
- The Library reserves the right to shorten the normal loan period and to recall library material before due date if the material is reserved or urgently required by other users
- In case of delay in the return of book(s), the member will be charged Kshs. 5.00 per day and Kshs. 20.00 per day for short loan materials
- Prolonged delay in the return of book(s) will result in termination of membership
- Loss of books, if any, shall and must be reported to the Librarian immediately
- Lost books shall be replaced by a good copy of the same and of the latest edition.
- If the borrower is unable to replace the lost book(s),they will incur twice the cost of books plus overdue charges